Saturday, November 8, 2008

Ramblings in the Early Evening

So the concert at the coffee shop, it ended up being a giant sing-along. We sang songs like Knockin on Heaven's Door, House of the Rising Sun, Sweet Home Alabama, and some others. Then another teacher and I busted out some worship songs, some in their language and some in English. We sounded prettty good if I do say so myself.
So this weekend, I went for a long bike ride, finished reading the Irresistible Revolution, and spent time hanging out with God. It was a really nice and relaxing weekend. Especially since the next several weekends I will be spending in different cities around the country. Today I went to the grocery store, and I found chicken cordon bleu fillets! I can heat them up for six or seven minutes and then I have some chicken! It is nice to have some protein in my diet again. The last several weeks I have been living off yogurt, cheese, crackers, and apples.
I learned to make Turkish coffee a couple of nights ago, which was much easier than I thought it would be! I am going to learn how to do some of their traditional dancing this next week, and that will be really neat. The men and women are so graceful when they dance. I am excited to see it and embarass myself by trying!
I started learning verbs in my language classes, so hopefully I will be able to construct basic sentences. My language coach says that I am doing really well and catching on a lot faster than expected. I am enjoying it so much, and the language is beautiful (I think).
The people here have taught me so much about the definition of hospitality. I was reading in Romans today where believers are supposed to welcome one another, and practice hospitality with other members of the body, and with others outside the body of Christ. It is crazy too to think that Paul went on his journeys and depended on the hospitality of believers in each place he went. What if we truly practiced hospitality? It would be revolutionary! The people here teach me so much about the Bible even though they are not believers. It is really cool though to get outside of my American interpretation of the scriptures, and live in a culture that is similar to Biblical culture and see how the believers here interpret the scriptures. It has been truly challenging and life changing.
Well, more updates to come as the weeks continue to progress!
I miss home!

No comments: