Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Hello everyone!  Sorry it has taken me so long to put up another post!  The internet here has been really bad as of late, so I have not had much access.  Since the beginning of the month....where to start!

I have still been teaching my two classes, and there have been so many funny moments!  When we studied family, aunts turned into aunters, and brother-in-law turned into brother-in-lover.  It was really funny.  We studied fruits, and plums became plumberries, and watermelon is waterlemon, and the best moment was in the chain game.  You would have to say what fruit you liked and repeat everyone's answers who went before you.  One gentleman got a little confused, and combined what he liked and the person before him.  He said "I love nancy cherries".  (Name is changed of course) It was hilarious!  He started laughing and then the whole class, since both are single.  It was so funny!  I really love my classes, and there are a handful of people who have become a real treasure to me and I will definitely come back to at least visit them.  They are all so precious!

I have finished my language learning and am proud to say that I can hold an entire conversation in their language!  I know over 200 words so far and want to continue learning.  Before I die I want to be fluent in four languages, and this definitely will be one of them!
Last weekend, we woke up to a foot of snow!  It was so beautiful.  It has been covered in snow ever since and it snowed again today.  It is good because the country has been in a drought for the last few years, so bad that some of their lakes are completely gone.  So, I have been praying for rain, and it came in the form of snow!  A friend of mine and I went to the big city nearby and shopped and walked around and had a good time together.  I spent two nights at her house, and 4 of us slept huddled together in the livingroom since it was down to 10 degrees farenheit!  It has been really cold, but it feels crisp and refreshing so it is really nice!  The other night, the power was really bad!  The power came on at 9pm, off again at 9:20, on again at 9:23, off at 9:25, on again at 9:45, and off at 10:20, back on at 10:25!  We had no idea what was going on or what to expect!

So far, I have been really loving my time here, but I am homesick and cannot wait to come home and see everyone and share stories and what I have learned!  I am going to very busy in these last couple weeks.  I have several sleepover visits planned, I am going to the other side of the country tomorrow, then down on Friday to another neighboring country to celebrate thanksgiving, and then I will get to go to Greece for 4 days!  I am so excited for that!  There are a couple other places I want to see here before I leave, and they have a national holiday in that time so there will be lots of visits.  

It is so amazing to see what God is doing in the hearts of the new believers here, and the situations and doors he has opened for more spiritual conversations with people.  Please continue to pray that I will sense those and have wisdom in what to share.  Today I talked about Thanksgiving, and I felt this overwhelming sense of needing to share some things and set straight the difference between catholics and christians, since so many of these people have been opressed by and had family killed in the name of the catholic faith.  It was a good talk though.  I will be writing my own lesson on Christmas and want to share some more spiritual focused material.  Please pray for me as I prepare the lesson, and for work in the hearts of my students so that they will have hearts that are ready with questions.  

Well, I have to go now, we are done with coffee and English conversation time, and I have to get to dinner, and then a visit and coffee after that!  I miss everyone and love you all lots!  

1 comment:

CC in JD said...

Greece?

I'm jealous. All we have is a roommate who is Greek and he's never even been there!

See you soon!